Saturday, November 11, 2006

So I just woke up, am bored, and here I am again, not knowing which meal to take (one of many problems with waking up at 4pm).

This morning (around 2am), someone from team Click messages me on IRC and asks for my opinion on whether I think his opponents are maphacking. Hey, I've got time to burn, and it can't be too bad being from a rather high-calibre team and all, so I gladly oblige (not to mention that I'm flattered that he would ask for my opinion on issues like this).

All in all it's not a bad replay (team Click makes some good plays but a lot of stupid mistakes, but it isn't bad to watch), but I'm looking out for maphack-ish behaviour. I can't catch anything blatantly obvious, like clicking on heroes in fog or whatsoever, so assuming I was an admin I really wouldn't be able to do anything. However, some of the players on the opposing team are either maphacking or darn smart.

The point is that it's really difficult to distinguish the behaviour of a maphacker and that of someone who is playing smartly. Learning point? Strive to play like a maphacker!

If you think about it, as long as you conciously try to, unless your opponent is ice or something, it isn't too difficult to predict your opponent's actions to some degree of accuracy. Most of this processing however, goes on subconciously. The popularisation of wards has developed a reliance on wards, thus producing players that lack this sixth sense.

Conciously play like you're maphacking! Woot! Learning point of the day!

No comments: